Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thursday entry (for 9/17/09): Disillusionment

The definition of disillusionment is as follows: a feeling of disappointment resulting from the discovery that something is not as good as one believed it to be. The term is often associated with students who drop out of high school or college. I have felt disillusioned with photography ever since 2007 when I attended RIT for exactly one month before dropping out. I was incredibly unhappy with the quality of education and teachers at RIT and quickly realized that my heart was in fine art photography, not commercial. Ever since then, however, I've had a hard time trying to find my way back into photography's good graces. I had hoped that coming to VCU would have rejuvenated my love of photography but if anything I have found my experience here to have waned my already crumbling resolve to become a photographer.

Quote on topic by an expert:

We cannot kindle when we will
The fire which in the heart resides,
The spirit bloweth and is still,
In mystery our soul abides:
But tasks in hours of insight willed
Can be through hours of gloom fulfilled.
--Matthew Arnold (This quote from Arnold's poem Morality can be found at the beginning of the book Drop Out! by Robin Farquharson)


"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
--Thomas Edison

I've had a very difficult time finding an article, book or essay of any kind that deals with this subject matter. I need to do some more thorough research and edit this post in the future.

How this topic relates to my work:

This, along with the theory of the quarter-life crisis, provides the backbone of my concept for this project. It all boils down to the disappointment in discovering that pursuing a degree and career in art isn't as enthralling as once believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment